Full time Mortgage Underwriter
The Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for maintaining a thorough working knowledge of and the ability to analyze credit reports, income documentation, assets, liabilities, property appraisals and title reports. In addition, is responsible for the underwriting of the credit union residential lending in accordance with Fannie Mae guidelines. This position will assist in ensuring that loans meet OCU’s standards for sale into secondary market.
The Mortgage Underwriter position will identify, analyze and balance transactions, borrower and property related risks and offsets to arrive at a loan decision. This person will maintain effective communication and will provide general management and support for the branch and mortgage team members in regards to the daily processes related to residential real estate.
- Conducts required due diligence in underwriting of loan files submitted; analyzing credit documents, including, but not limited to residential mortgage credit history and income documents, title documents, appraisals and all applicable compliance documentation.
- Have a thorough knowledge of conventional and special mortgage loan programs.
- Thorough knowledge of first mortgage real estate lending practices including federal regulatory requirements, state regulations, agency and credit union requirements.
- Accurate completion of underwriting checklist in every file with any conditions presented in a clear, specific and uncomplicated format and limited to items relating to approval only.
- Ensures accurate disclosures have been properly provided to members and if not, requests updated disclosures.
- Reviews verifications and/or documentation to ensure that they are in accordance with underwriter findings and requests applicable updates be made in MortgageBot by Mortgage Loan Processor.
- Review and analyze all documentation received to determine acceptability. Log documents into the computer system, indicate when condition is satisfied and update as required.
- Performs and documents comparative and cash flow analysis for self-employed borrowers.
- Maintains compliance with laws and regulations applicable to residential underwriting guidelines, office operations and support staff functions.
- Ensure HMDA and OCU’s regulatory requirements are met in processing the approved, withdrawn, cancelled and rejected loan application.
- Maintain knowledge of updated manuals including all new policies or modifications to guidelines and standards of OCU and private mortgage insurers.
- Meet all lock in dates and pricing requirements or process requests for extensions to the applicant's commitments in accordance with credit union’s policy.
- Have a general knowledge of all credit union departments and how they interact with the Mortgage Lending Operations Department.
- Performs other job related duties required or assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Communication proficiency.
- Demonstrates strong organization, ability to prioritize, meets deadlines and works independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong analytical skills and mathematical skills.
- Knowledge of CUnify and mortgage computer operating systems.
- Proficient math skills, with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work under pressure and in negative situations.
- Professional communication with staff, members and vendors.
Work is performed in a financial institution environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. The employee must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
The mortgage underwriter position is a full-time position, non-exempt position. Primarily in an office environment. Hours of operations are Monday- Friday 8:30am- 5:30pm, periodic over-time, weekend or evening work is expected.
Will be expected to travel on occasion to other branches/departments, vendors and to attend training seminars.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- Three years of prior mortgage loan underwriting experience, with strong credit collateral and risk analysis proficiency.
- Secondary mortgage market experience preferred.
- Ten hours of NMLS approved continuing education required to be completed annually.
- Proficient analytical skills and the ability to solve problems and make reasonable logical decisions.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
Registered MLO with the NMLS federal registry.
Oregonians Credit Union provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetics or disability in accordance with applicable laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, lay-off, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Oregonians Credit Union reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.
Job Type: Full-time
Interested candidates, please email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org